Forum

turning a "NAVSPARK-GL" into an "NS-RAW"

Would it be possible to take a NAVSPARK-GL and write a program to output RAW data like an NS-RAW?  Would this be easy to do, or challenging?

I was very excited about the "Open Hardware" project of the NAVSPARK, and a bit disappointed that the developers have decided to make the NS-RAW a proprietary secret, not allowing further programming, and not giving off the source code.  I realize they want to profit from their hard work, and want to charge significantly more for the RAW output model.  Still, I wish it was all open source as it had been advertised.

Has anyone considered trying to write appropriate software for a NAVSPARK to output similar RAW code?

- Thomas.

You need to be a member of NavSpark Community to add comments!

Join NavSpark Community

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Greetings Edwin,

By "looking forward" I mean I'm waiting on the NavSpark-GL I ordered to arrive : )  In the mean time I'm looking for the community that I hope exists that is actively working with these NavSpark boards.  

There is this long standing argument that profits come from selling hardware and the more open and accessible the hardware is, the more it will sell. All these boards seem to me to be well worth the price they are selling at as development boards. I think there is probably a case to be made for  one without the RF stage parts installed but of course just buy a plain NavSpark and use the second library without GNSS.

Display with the Nokia 5110 LCD sounds like a good stepping stone in what ever I end up doing : )

I'll worry less about how many hours it would take to turn an GL into a Raw and work more at learning how to program it.

• Actually, only the navspark, navspark-BD and navspark-GL boards are advertised as development boards. The NS-RAW board is advertised as an additional module, another product.

I think the comments in this thread are somewhat unfair. They provide a well documented development board. On my desk i have a navspark-beidou with a nokia lcd, a push button to switch screens on the nokia lcd and a couple of leds merrily flashing when a beidou satellite comes into view. All running on my own code. So there is no need to look forward to the adventure. You can start right now.

Having said that. The original indygogo page mentioned the ambition to make the NS-RAW programmable as well. Though it clearly mentioned that so far they were not successful in implementing a programmable board. (The Indygogo also mentions a much more attractive pricing, but that's another matter)

I really would like a programmable NS-RAW too (with full access to the pseudoranges!0. That would be great. And while i'm wishing for things: a navspark-Galileo please! :-) 

• One would hope that  hardware marketed as a development board would have available enough information to actually program it. 

I look forward to the adventure : )

• Yes it is possible to use NAVSPARK RAW with RTKLIB on Linux or Windows any other OS that RTKLIB has been ported to.

Here is an example about using RTKLIB: http://www.navspark.com.tw/blog/tutorial-using-ns-raw-with-rtklib-r...

• Does it mean it is not possible NAVSPARK RAW use with RTKLIB on LINUX? I would like to use NAVSPARK for Real Time Kinematics (RTK) in BS + Rover mode, but I want to do it on LINUX. Is it possible?

• Here is smaller size $25 GPS raw measurement model for those wish to make their board and post process, http://navspark.mybigcommerce.com/s1315f8-raw-carrier-phase-raw-mea... 

• Not "easy" :-)  If the NavSpark GPS receiver library (either the basic or RAW version) was ever advertised as open-source, I missed that announcement.  The part that is open is the Arduino-type environment; basically everything but the GPS engine.  Skytraq/Navspark have not documented the GPS hardware interface or register set, so you would really be working blind trying to reverse-engineer it.  The basic LEON CPU architecture is published, but we don't know what customization they may have done for the GPS function.

I assume the closed-source part was a business decision, but it's possible there would be trouble with COCOM regulations regarding GPS receiver limitations (aimed at preventing cheap ICBM navigation) if they sold an open-source receiver, which would be easily modified to work in a missile.

This reply was deleted.